Herbal Medicine - Introduction Tues Eve option
Tutor: Susan O’Donoghue, BSc (Hons) Herbal Medicine
- Date: Oct 12, 2021 - Jan 24, 2022
- Day: Tuesday
- Time : 6.00 - 7.30pm
- Category: Health and Fitness, Stress Management
- Venue : To be confirmed closer to the start of term
- Cost: €110 for twelve classes
Book this course online now
Herbal Medicine is the use of plants to maintain health, prevent disease and manage illness. Plants have formed the basis for medical treatment through much of human history.
This course will introduce students to Herbal Medicine. You will learn what Herbal Medicine is and about some common plants that grow in the fields and gardens around us and their traditional and current uses in supporting health.
It will introduce the student to:
• Herbs from the Irish and European Medicine tradition, as well as some of the more commonly used herbs in Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine
• Herbs used for the digestive, respiratory, cardiovascular, immune and urinary systems as well as musculoskeletal, skin, hormonal and brain health
• The medicinal properties of some common culinary herbs such as Garlic, Ginger, Rosemary,
Thyme and Turmeric
• The actions of herbs - Astringent, Anti-inflammatory, Bitter, Nervine, Demulcent, etc.
• How herbs are prepared and how to make your own herbal remedies (teas, decoctions, tinctures, macerated oils, balms, ointments, creams)
• Herbal First Aid
• Safety and dosage; children and the elderly
Please register online or call the office on 01 8735879
Course added on: 04/08/2014
Details last updated on: 04/08/2021